Welcome

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Whether your visit is to check up on my progress, or maybe compare what I'm doing with a similar project you'r undertaking, welcome. Have a look around and leave comments if you would like to.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Benchtop Edging & Overhead Cupboards

Hi again. Some more progress has been made, this time concerning the benchtop edging and the underside of the overhead cupboards. I'm still not feeling right so any progress is slow. The other thing that I managed to do was the edging on the benchtop ready for the laminate to be applied.

The Kreg Jig came into its own again with fixing the edging onto the benchtop. Because I want to run the profile router bit around the edge of the benchtop once the laminate is fixed, I had to make sure that the screws weren't in the way. After a fair bit of thought, I decided to use the Kreg Jig and run the holes from the top surface. This makes the screws track downwards away from where the router bit will run. The Jig comes with a portable unit which you can take to the material and clamp it on. It works really well.
The pic below shows the holes on the top of the benchtop.

The pics below show the finished job with the edging fixed to the benchtop. I glued it as well as using screws and it should be really solid.


The underside of the overhead cupboards have been left to almost last because the wiring needed to go into them. Having finished and tested all the circuits, I set about closing them in with the same panel as I've used for the other fittings. After the panels were in I covered the external angles with 90 degree timber angle. The pics below show the finished job so far. The first one is down the back over the lounge/bed area.

The follolwing view shows the job over the top of the kitchen bench. You will see one of the supports for the overhead cupboards which I've cut to size. The cupboards need support at this point because although the are fixed to the wall, they are not fixed to the roof. They are pretty solid without the support, but I reckon that once loaded, the vibration will cause some issues.


In the pic above, you can see where the pine panelling finishes. I am going to cover the undersides of the shelves over the dinette seats with plywood. Its my intention that the plywood will be covered in padding and the same fabric that the seat cushion are covered in. The idea being that it will break up the 'surrounded by pine' feel and also prevent too much skin being knocked off one's head.