Welcome

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Whether your visit is to check up on my progress, or maybe compare what I'm doing with a similar project you'r undertaking, welcome. Have a look around and leave comments if you would like to.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Venting The Rangehood

I have kept busy doing all of those 'little' jobs that get put off until another day.  One of those things was the fluming of the rangehood.  I have been putting it off because I though it needed another hole cut in the roof.  Peter tells me that he has installed a small round vent for this purpose on a Mazda before and it was a real pain.  He said that there is a double metal skin on the side of the roof and it is really difficult to cut through.  Having checked this out its true.  I was left with a rangehood that was virtually useless, at least I thought so.  Towards the rear of the vehicle on both sides and now inside the overhead cupboards are two vents which a meant to let air out of the vehicle when travelling.  I removed the vent cover which is about 500mm from the rangehood and found that it is just perfect for the vent.


Next I had to build a cowl over the vent hole to feed the ducting from the rangehood into.  The pics below show how I made the cowl out of plywood.  I put a baffle into it as well do direct the exhaust out more effectively.  I also used some of the sealing tape that came with the sink to seal it and stop it from leaking. The pic below is of the finished job. The cowl is 200mm x 50mm (inside).  Note the small metal angles to attach it over the vent hole.  I bought 50 of these from Bunnings in a pack,  they have been very useful for many jobs including fixing the furniture to the floor


The next pic shows the cowl in place over the vent with the ducting running into it.  I made the cowl just big enough to fit the tube and I will seal it in with some foam and duct tape so it can be removed for cleaning if need be.

The next pic shows the baffle and how it directs the exhaust outside through the vent.  I hope so anyway.  Once the batteries are in I'll test it.  The whole thing needs to be painted too.


The vent on the other side is perfectly placed to vent the shower/toilet ouside too.  I will have to make a cowl that I can fit a 12 volt fan into.  I ran the wiring today for that too.

Tomorrow,  I'll do a post on the new external LED light which I've wired in and also the tanks are definately being fitted.  Thats a complete post on its own.