Welcome

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Whether your visit is to check up on my progress, or maybe compare what I'm doing with a similar project you'r undertaking, welcome. Have a look around and leave comments if you would like to.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday - Overhead Cupboard Well Underway

Today I achieved that which I set out to, namely finish the framing for the overhead cupboards. I didn't feel well again today, but I'm making myself get on with this project. Today I also ran out of 42x19mm pine for the second time, and also used the last of a box of 500 screws. S0 far I reckon I've used about 700 screws in the framing and too many metres of pine.

The cupboards down the right side are all framed up, just now waiting to be lined and panelled. The side cupboards are about 25cm deep and the back ones are 35mm. I had thought originally about making then over bench cupboards 30mm and the others 40mm, but it would make it difficult to see all of the work surface and probably result in me hitting my head each time I sat on the lounge. I think there will be enough room nevertheless.

Anyways the following pics sum up today's efforts.

This shows how I've doubled up the framing for stength. Each of these frames is screwed and glued to the wall plate and then glued and screwed together. As you will see in the following pics, this allows for each cupboard to have a 42mm face for the doors to fix to.


This pic shows the completed side over bench cupboards with their faces fitted. The rear side cupboard is 710mm wide and the over bench cupboards are each 555mm wide. This allows for 4 cupboards spread evenly over the full length of the kitchen bench. One of these will accomodate the rangehood flue.

This is the almost complete rear cupboard frames. This has to have a divider in the middle and some framing across the base of the cupboard. I would have done it today, but I ran out of timber. Anyway, so far so good. Now I have to tackle the cupboard over the cab and the shelving that will run from where the over bench cupboards end to the over cab cupboard. The over cab cupboard will house the LCD TV/Video and have storage behind. Thanks for reading, more tomorrow I hope.